I reverted back to the original configuration and tried the RDS but did not get telemetry data on the dashboard. I also have a small python script that simply displays any UDP data that it receives on port 14550 and nothing is displayed so I don’t think RDS is working.
I did some further tests and it really does look like Mavpilot is waiting for the other side to send first. Its not a real problem providing I make the changes above to the mavgateway file. Also to ensure that the iPhone is aways assigned the same IP address I made the following changes to the /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file.
I got it to work!. Since I was not seeing any UDP traffic originating from the iPhone I assumed it was waiting to receive traffic from the APM via the bridge and maybe the bridge was not sending it. Further investigation revealed that the bridge was also waiting for traffic on port 14550 so neither side was talking. I simply changed the /etc/init.d/mavgateway file from this