Wire Connection instead of WiFi

Home Forums Tech Support Wire Connection instead of WiFi

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JLG Paris
      Participant

Hello every one.
      I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the telemetry “Ground Module” to the iDevice with a wire Like on the DJI for exemple.
      The advantage would be :
      Less latency.
      Cheaper and easier than the Wifi module. Juste a cable.
      No extra Battery.
      So the idea is to connect the telemtry ground module to the lightning/usb port of the iPhone/iPad…

Thank you

JL

Bill B
      Keymaster

It just really expensive to create a device that connects to the Lighting connector for small developer. Connecting using WIFi incurs minimal latency compared with the telemetry ground module.

You can use this ESP8266 module from AdadFruit module which is only $10 or even this ESP8266 module from Deal Extreme for $7

I was going to update my Support pages to show how to connect them as a bridge or directly to the autopilot. I just have been very busy.

JLG Paris
      Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
      I’m newbie, in electronic and programming.
      I’m just handy and I’m not afraid of using a soldering iron.
      I’m in the building process right now so when my quad will be assembled (when i will receive all the missing parts). I will do it as you said.
      But will it work also on an iPad Air (there is no GPS on iPad ?)
      Would it be also possible to transmit the video on the screen using an FPV camera and the telemetry or do i need a special video transmitter/receiver ? My questions sound strange maybe as I don’t have a lot of experience on quad copter. (Just build a small diy quad with naze32 in crazy accro mode and discovered after a week the Alt mode) any way.

I will have a look on DX as they have a European Wearhouse.
      Thank you.

JLG Paris
      Participant

Is it the same Wifi module ?
      Is there any risk of perturbations between WiFi and Rc remote 2.4ghz ?

Thanks again

Here is the link : http://www.gearbest.com/transmitters-receivers-module/pp_218376.html
      They also have a long distance one.

Bill B
        Keymaster

As i said before, i was thinking of using an iPad with OTG cable but realise that Wifi is more convenient.

It won’t work you need to have the Apple iAP decryption chip for that to work which requires going through Apples ‘Made for iDevice’ (MFI) program. The WiFI Bridge as documented on this site is the easiest solution to connect to a long range radio. (though using an ESP8266 instead of the XBee Module)

see http://www.communistech.com/support/

The ESP8266 modules are better. the one you linked was a ESP8266-01 which requires a regulator to power it as its 3.3V. The deal extreme board I linked to has a regulator onboard and a switch to allow easy programming of new firmware. There is developments for better firmware here https://github.com/dogmaphobic/mavesp8266

As for interference from 2.4GHz WiFi and 2.4GHz RC Spread Spectrum radios. You are correct that they can interfere with each other and reduce range. The point is this only really happens when the antennas are close together. I have had no noticeable issues myself using MAVPilot and WiFi/Bridge and RC Control

Most interference issue with range and drones is caused onboard the drone, when you have 2 or more transmitting antennas in very close proximity. This causes the receiving stage of the radios to de-sensitize reducing range. By maximizing the distance between the antennas greatly improves the situation. If you are only using the WiFi to 915MHz bridge you also improve this as then you have only one 2.4GHz radio on the drone (RC Control)

That said people are working on WiFi control from the RC Transmitter. Which will be cool and solve the telemetry and control being then on the same frequency and technology. Then range can be extended with just better and directional antennas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0GJ21oUO4

Hope that helps. 🙂

JLG Paris
      Participant

Hello,

As i said before, i was thinking of using an iPad with OTG cable but realise that Wifi is more convenient.

As I’m newbie and didn’t finish my quadcopter yet i still have stuff to buy and i saw a “new wifi telemetry module ” it’s how they call it.
      With this module you don’t need any ground station anymore. It’s connected directly to your device and the range is about 500 to 800m somthing like half 1/2 miles.

So I was going to buy it (I already bought the 433mhz telemetry modules) but being connected directly to my iPad would be great and with out any extra battery pack etc…

So my question is.
      Is this module compatible with the MAV Pilot App ?
      As I’m using a 2.4ghz remote control I thought that I should be careful of interferences (and I don’t now anything about this). So i went to a french forum, they where talking about this stuff and on of the guys said that he wouldn’t allow this in the field, without giving any arguments so if anyone as knowledge on this subject and can explain it clearly (without a hundred graph and explanations that I wouldn’t be able to understand in English and even in French;-).
      And Bill do have any experience with this module ?
      And if it works it would be nice to see if it’s possible to transfer more than only telemetry troughs this module.

Thanks and have a good Sunday.

Here is a link (it seems like they’re are 2 differents module, at least they look different):
      http://fr.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=2114.06010108.8.5.UPUclN&initiative_id=QRW_20160117042916&SearchText=wireless+wifi+module+pixhawk+replacement&productId=32526622857

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by JLG Paris.
      • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by JLG Paris.
        Bill B
        Keymaster

Sorry, I should say MAV Pilot will work with any WiFi module that states it is Pixhawk compatible.

You can connect the module directly to the autopilot and have about ~500m range (depending on conditions)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.